Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sword Bearer

A Journey without a doubt

Well...Guess what I learned this week? None of the things inside my desktop used SATA...This became very expensive when the need arose to buy a new hard drive...Which led to buying a new motherboard, which then led to buying a new DVD player...Now I'm reloading everything. But I did it! And I did it all by myself! Take that Tech Support!

SB

Serial Advanced Technology Attachment storage

(SATA, Serial ATA) A computer bus technology primarily designed for transfer of data to and from a hard disk. SATA is the successor to Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA), which was given the retronym Parallel ATA (PATA) to distinguish it from Serial ATA.

Serial ATA is designed to be scalable. The original SATA/150 or "SATA 1" can transfer up to 150 MBps and "SATA 3.0 Gbit/s" has a maximum data rate of 300 MBps.

Both SATA and PATA drives have built-in low level control electronics but the term IDE is usually restricted to parallel ATA drives.

Ah... I still need to read all that, so I don't understand the situation still.

Ah... I still need to read all that, so I don't understand the situation still.

Short answer, his shit was too many years too old. It's kind of like how you see some old games are more expensive NOW than when they were out. I'll user a recent game hunt I was on for example, I was looking for a NEW copy of No More Heroes 1 to buy and the prices ranged from $45.00 to $80.00, remind you NEW and it's not even THAT OLD.

Same with PC equipment. Right now if your computer had "Pentium" and a number beside it you can probably expect to pay top dollar for parts because they're not manufactured in large quantities if AT ALL, and also support for so called "legacy" hardware gets dropped rather quickly. Example again: My computer now HAD a Radeon X19000 (512MB) series card in it...which isn't that old. But because there are so many new cards ATI has put out since that model, they ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT HAVE DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 7 FOR IT. Using Vista drivers also was out because all their current driver packages REMOVED the X1900 from it's support and they DO NOT make older versions available. Now because I wanted to play Street Fighter 4 on my PC (before I upgraded to Win7), and the X1900 barely could run it at the LOWEST settings. I yanked the sucker out and got a GeForce GTX 295 (1.8GB) which at the time was the newsest and best one out.

Long story short, being cheap NOW may cost you a lot more later.

Short answer, his shit was too many years too old. It's kind of like how you see some old games are more expensive NOW than when they were out. I'll user a recent game hunt I was on for example, I was looking for a NEW copy of No More Heroes 1 to buy and the prices ranged from $45.00 to $80.00, remind you NEW and it's not even THAT OLD.

Same with PC equipment. Right now if your computer had "Pentium" and a number beside it you can probably expect to pay top dollar for parts because they're not manufactured in large quantities if AT ALL, and also support for so called "legacy" hardware gets dropped rather quickly. Example again: My computer now HAD a Radeon X19000 (512MB) series card in it...which isn't that old. But because there are so many new cards ATI has put out since that model, they ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT HAVE DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 7 FOR IT. Using Vista drivers also was out because all their current driver packages REMOVED the X1900 from it's support and they DO NOT make older versions available. Now because I wanted to play Street Fighter 4 on my PC (before I upgraded to Win7), and the X1900 barely could run it at the LOWEST settings. I yanked the sucker out and got a GeForce GTX 295 (1.8GB) which at the time was the newsest and best one out.

Long story short, being cheap NOW may cost you a lot more later.

Dear God man please don't say things like that. I so don't want to buy a new graphics card now...Let me rephrase that, I can't afford to buy a new graphics card right now. Nvidia had darn well better put out drivers for a Geforce 8600 GT card and Windows 7...Otherwise, I will scream in a very high pitched voice, throw fruit on my head, and then throw my computer into the crowded freeway.

Dear God man please don't say things like that.

I'm glad he did. It gave me a much better grasp of YOUR situation, yo. :P

Oh, and senior Neko, if you would kindly reply to this post of mine. Not that I don't appreciate the Badgmeister's well-elaborated opinion, I would just like more than one answer regarding that situation. From another person, that is (mainly said to hopefully deter any smart-ass replies, yo).

Oh, and I guess you could help some, too, Sword, beyond your praises sung for AOL, hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Dear God man please don't say things like that. I so don't want to buy a new graphics card now...Let me rephrase that, I can't afford to buy a new graphics card right now. Nvidia had darn well better put out drivers for a Geforce 8600 GT card and Windows 7...Otherwise, I will scream in a very high pitched voice, throw fruit on my head, and then throw my computer into the crowded freeway.

Their latest release of their driver pack, version 196.21 supports it and pretty much everything as far back as the 6100 series. And they have it for both 32-bit AND 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

Gives me another reason to hate ATI, even if they DO already have a DirectX 11 card out and nVidia doesn't.

lol, Sasuke, I haven't used AOL in...Five or six years or so I think. And my aol e-mail account is now simply where I send junk mail too...Thats about all the good it is. And I know I've posted it before but again, my current e-mail is Dankbarer@gmail.com Although, best just to send me a pm on the boards here as I'm far more likely to answer it...Or see it for that matter.

OV, don't know much about ATI, I just always like Nvidia for some unknown reason. Never really did any research on the subject either. Gut thing I guess...

Oh yeah, update on the computer that should have been posted on wednesday but I was to tired and angry to. Well, first off, I got everything plugged in and ready to go. But since my new hard drive was new and I couldn't plug in the old one, I ended up needing to reinstall windows. Which was going to be a many stepped process since I had to start with Windows Vista Home Premium, move to Ultimate, and then was going to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Had the update bought and everything. Never got past step one since I found that the product key for my first disk was simply gone. Called tech support, asked friends online, couldn't get it done. So I ran (drove actually but ran sounds so much more exciting) down to the closest Best Buy and returned the upgrade only to find, "Oh we don't sell full versions of windows, just the upgrade." "Great..." Next stop, Wal-Mart (it was right next door so was worth a shot.) That idea bombed faster than a hamster strapped to a nuke. So on to Cost-Co I searched frantically through the aisles and islands until I found the software section and glory to God there was all three versions of Windows 7!...For upgrading from Vista! SOB...So on to yet another Best Buy, where I actually managed to find someone helpful. while they didn't sell the full version either, he suggested going to the Geek Squad counter and asking them. So off to the counter I went. I was thuroughly seething by now you should know, quite upset that I was sure my comp wouldn't be working by tomorrow. So you can imagine my response when I stood at the FRONT OF THE LINE for ten whole minutes with two people at the counter busy with some small matters and couldn't be bothered to look me in the eye and say something along the lines of "We are very sorry for the wait sir, we will be with you shortly." I finally left almost screaming at them, but instead muttering under my breath that they be sent to a special hell waiting in line to ask a very simple question, for eternity. Jackasses...Anyway, I got home and thank God for laptops as I went straight to Microsofts website and ordered the full version off their store, and so hopefully I will be getting it in the mail sometime today. Actually my biggest hope right now is to simply snatch it off the truck before leaving work, which is technically a no-no...But I really want to get this done today.

...Oh well...Anybody up for some Modern Warfare 2 or Super Smash Brothers Brawl today? I have a shiny much faster and new internet connection now. So lets play!

SB

...Oh well...Anybody up for some Modern Warfare 2 or Super Smash Brothers Brawl today? I have a shiny much faster and new internet connection now. So lets play!

Uh, yeah, I don't think I've played brawl since I cursed both you and Badger out like a total douche. That self-inflicted moment of stupidity kinda killed the game for me. Regardless, hope all that techno-stuff gets resolved. It can really suck being without a computer, yo.

Yeah, was lucky I had my laptop. Well, most recent update, my desktop is back in action with Windows 7 now. So now I am redownloading and loading my favorite games...Taking awhile. Should be done by tomorrow night I hope. Depends on what time I get home from work. Sunday night at the latest.

So it appears my journey is coming to an end. On a side note, I got Professor Layton and the diabolical Box. And have to say, this is a really fun game. Didn't think that puzzels would be this much fun.

And get back on SSBB! Then we can work out our differences through violence. lol

SB

But since my new hard drive was new and I couldn't plug in the old one, I ended up needing to reinstall windows. Which was going to be a many stepped process since I had to start with Windows Vista Home Premium, move to Ultimate, and then was going to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Did you know that you DID NOT need to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate? ALL editions of Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are eligible for upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Also if you were going to buy 3 different versions of Windows to accomplish this, why not have gotten the Full version of Windows 7 Ultimate in the first place? $100 + $150 + $200 > $300

You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle and $150 (or more) bucks.

Edited by KaizenNeko

Thats actually what I did in the end. The whole story with that actually started back when my comp was first being made by a friend. I got Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. Had a lot of hassle to deal with back then, and was troubleshooting a lot. Most of which finding out 64-bit windows had next to no support, or so it seemed then. So I upgraded to Ultimate and 32-bit.

The whole thing about it taking three steps was mainly mis-understanding the guy at Best Buy and not asking enough questions. But its a moot point since I had to order the full version of 7 anyway, and just went straight for the Ultimate one.

SB

Sigh, this circus act just doesn't end. I got everything said and good on my desktop, until last night. I went to play some Dragon Age, had to restart on it since I have a new hard drive and all, and found out that my headphone jack on the new motherboard doesn't work...Any ideas on how to fix it? Or am I doomed to pull my comp apart again?

SB

The cord connecting the motherboard and the headphone jack may be loose or disconnected. You should open the computer up and re-seat it. If it's firmly connected, you may need to reinstall the drivers that came with your motherboard.

Ok, will check it out. I hope its something easy like reinstalling the drivers to fix. I know its not the headphones themselves since I pluged them not only into the speakers own headphone jack, but into the main jack for the speakers on the motherboard as well. And they worked fine. Ug, hope that when I get this fixed I can put down working on the desktop for awhile. I really would like to focus on my homework and paying for insurance until my UPS insurance kicks in.

SB

I'd try looking at the physical connection first. If it's not that, then go ahead and reinstall the drivers. If the drivers don't fix it, then it's, in computer geek lingo, "fucked."

Hmm, maybe I can find an adapter then. Would definatly save me money...I think...Maybe...

Oh well, checked the inside of the computer, nothing I can do there. Next step the drivers. But I don't have much hope there...Oh well, worth a shot.

SB