Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sword Bearer

So, Metroid Other M.

Its been out for awhile, and not a single post about it has been done that I've seen. So whats the deal? Did you all like it? Dislike it?

Personally, I thought gameplay wise, it was an absolutely awesome game. Loved the pacing, and the controls were spot on once you got used to them, which didn't take all that long. Every fight in the game felt like an encounter with something really dangerous, a feeling which is incredibly stronger on Hard Mode...

Where the game failed I think was in its story telling. I'm not saying the plot was bad, I actually thought the plot was good...It was the execution that didn't work. What is it with the japanese and needing to add incredible amounts of drama to everything? Samus really didn't fit the role that she has been playing for the last twenty years. She came off as way too wishy washy I think.

The primary problem that cause that I think is one I see common in most Japanese games...They like to tell, not show. 90% of the dialog in that game was narration. The only scene that did work I think to show more of Samus' real character, was Adam's death scene. And BTW, if you didn't know that scene was coming, you didn't pay attention in Metroid Fusion and you deserve to be caught off guard by that spoiler...That scene finally Samus shut up in her head and actually showed something instead of telling it.

Ok, those are some, very few and basic, of my thoughts. What were your alls?

Yeeaah... I don't gots the money to buy games, yo. I only saw the last sentence of yer post, and all I can say is that I don't have too many thoughts on the game seeing as how I have yet to play it. Heard it got a lot of complaints, but people are always going to be complaining. Babies.

But yeah... would like to play it, but can't. Filled out a job application last night, so maybe I'll be able to purchase it in the future, yo. For now I just wanted to reply so you didn't feel like you were being totally ignored.

Last night, my awesome cousin, who you may all recall as Sid (from BOTP8), was most gracious to have purchased me Other M. He actually wanted to watch me play it, and barring some of my urges to explore, I think I got pretty far before he eventually had to go. I kept playing, and what has happened now is essentially my days and nights being thrown off really, really, really bad, which is a common occurrence when I first play a game that I quickly come to enjoy.

While I have managed to beat the game (67% on first completion, would've tried for 100% had my wandering not lead me to the 'room'), I still feel like I'm rather rusty with the controls. I still have trouble dodging, even though it's easy enough at times to just mash the pad, and I don't seem all that quick when I decide to go into 1st person to do some shootin'. I might also be used to the way a lot of games these days sorta hold your hand and clue you in regularly, because there were a good few times where I was getting flustered because I couldn't figure things out (a few of which Sid was around for to also get confused, one special incident remaining in my head).

As far as the story goes, I honestly enjoyed it. Mind, some parts did come off a bit weird and goofy, but I don't think it detracted too much. As for Samus... I get the impression that all these fans have this strong establishment of how she is / should be when, last I recalled, the only games prior where there was any form of character coming from her are Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, and even those are rather sparse, except maybe Fusion. Because of what I see to be very little character development throughout the course of the games, Samus' actions, while at times maybe being a bit offish, aren't entirely out of character because, really, she hardly had any character to speak of before. She was just a silent, versatile bounty hunter that players got to control, and because of this I think a lot of people fantasized about how she is instead of looking at the games themselves and how they revealed little about her in terms of character. But hey, this is supposed to be a post about Other M, not my view of what people should expect from a game character that, up until a certain game, had very little officially established character traits to be had.

(I believe I said 'character' seven times in that last paragraph)

But yeah... I wanna say I've been having fun thus far. Mind, I have yet to play hard, and I heard one person describe it as 'do not attempt mode', which is rather disheartening, especially since the game came off as being challenging throughout on the normal go. But I managed to beat all the other games on hard (I think), barring that 15% or less on Zero Mission, which I gave up on, so I'll probably give it a shot eventually. If this game has an easy mode ala Megaman Legends, it might inspire me more to attempt a hard mode run : P

EDIT: I also love what they did with eldir-yay (backwards'd n' pig latin'd to not spoil, so it's hopefully not obvious). That's just great.

Yes that whole "Little Birdy" thing was awesome lol. And spooky at times too.

I think there is a bit more to Samus' personality that can be gleaned from the older games. For instance, when she is narrating in Fusion about having to destroy the SA-X and all the other nasty little virus things, she is ready to destroy the station and is quite forceful in wanting to do it. That isn't anywhere close to the voice she has in Other M. I kinda get the feeling that they contradict eachother in terms of character.

Although, and Idon't know if I've mentioned this before in my original post since that was many moons ago, there is one scene I did like, and thats the scene where Adam dies. I think that was actually well done and well written, befitting both characters. The rest...Was just way too much telling you about how Samus "feels" and not enough showing it. Which honestly I see a lot in Japanese games. They are very dramatic lol

SB

the problem with giving Samus a really involved story game is that the lack of personality, the sparse details we have received, over the last 25 years, have informed us about her. In my mind and many others, samus is a lone, quiet figure. While narratively, it is interesting to throw her in a situation where that is not the case, nintendo games really run on their gameplay, not story. And certainly not story written up by a third party.

Look at star fox. Star fox does not need a dramatic story. Adventure sucks dick, and Assault is barely okay because there is much more flight to it, but still too many cutscenes. Starfox DS sucked for other reasons but...

Basically, Metroid did not need a complicated narrative framework to initiate gameplay. It's really sort of self indulgent.

These are just my thoughts as a long time fan.

RE: japanese drama. The game was clearly written with being overwrought in mind. They executed on that in the way they wanted, and failed. I don't think that is a japanese problem, so much as a studio problem. There are many examples of effective drama in japanese games and media, and plenty of examples without drama as well.