Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sasuke1986

Greetings from Wii world!!

... mainly because I think I broke my rig when trying to clean the dust out of it. So yeah... might be in contact like this for a while.

Hopefully the drive itself is fine, but I don't know for sure. Really suck if I lose all my stuff after so long.

Unrelated, do I need to worry about my Wii... 'catching' stuff in the event I decide to look certain things up? You know...

Still on the Wii here, yo. Thought I'd mention the troubles at hand.

At first I noticed my computer was a bit louder than normal after my cleaning attempt. I managed to schedule a disk check and shut it down without fault. The issues really showed up once I tried that first check. I had been away and returned to see the screen garbled, vertically striped black and white with purplish stripes near the top and bottom. There was still some resemblance to the check screen with pixely blots where the text and Windows logo were, but there was also a pixely streak going horizontally about 3/4th the way down the screen. The reset button only seemed to make the machine lose proper contact with the monitor, so I did a forced shutdown. I attempted the scan two more times, with attempt 2 garbling but getting back to looking normal but also getting the streak and appearing to stop. Attempt 3 garbled more quickly then the others, but no streak (also, the monitor lost contact for a second a few times during minutes long intervals).

I tried going into safe mode, but it didn't go pass the screen with black BG and white text that was scrolling through this disk stuff. I tried accessing normally after that, cancelling the scan, but the toolbar at the bottom got stuck on loading before the monitor lost contact with the computer.

My dad recently looked it over. He tried looking at the drivers, but the thing was being really slow and eventually froze, these glitchy vertical lines forming and growing (he tried turning off the monitor then back on, but ruled it out as the source when the lines were still there and much bigger). The following try after the forced shutdown had no monitor contact, and the try after that had me get as far as the amount options in the backup wizard before the computer made a short buzz and the screen froze. I'm going to try safe mode again later and see if I can get farther there.

... so yeah, this kinda sucks, and my wrist is getting sore :P

But hey, any recommendations / advice? Also, my previous question about my Wii catching stuff still stands, yo.

Aaaaand I almost thought it was working. Safe mode had got me deeper into the back up options then the standard, but it went and froze when I went to get a floppy disk.

That's another thing... a floppy disk? For the system backup? That's used to recover EVERYTHING? I have doubts, there. Would it be better to just backup my own stuff, or should I try for all information?

Gettin' kinda bummed, yo. I mean, even if I manage to start the backup, I don't think it'd be able to finish before the computer messes up. It's like... blarg. I still have an old drive I never got the info off of.

So yeah... questions still stand. Priority on these issues over my Wii becoming diseased.

Also, curious if these will show up. Probably not.

◎☆○◇□△ώήέΫ§€¢¥£♪♭æœÅβζλμξδπσΛΞψχφω΅ΩΦΥΠ

... and sorry for bringing up my grievances here. And probably being more annoying than usual.

Me again. So I got in safe mode again just to try the backup option and I got... a catastrophic failure. That was the actual reason given in the report when the backup was a no-go.

Catastrophic failure.

Hilarious, yet also disheartening. I tried the basic one, the one for everything, and the one for specific files. All failed catastrophically. Then the computer bugged out before I could give it one more shot.

So I guess one of my only options now is making it a slave drive on another computer to backup the info that way? It doesn't seem like I'll be getting anything worked out on the computer as it is now and all...

Aaaaand I almost thought it was working. Safe mode had got me deeper into the back up options then the standard, but it went and froze when I went to get a floppy disk.

That's another thing... a floppy disk? For the system backup? That's used to recover EVERYTHING? I have doubts, there. Would it be better to just backup my own stuff, or should I try for all information?

Gettin' kinda bummed, yo. I mean, even if I manage to start the backup, I don't think it'd be able to finish before the computer messes up. It's like... blarg. I still have an old drive I never got the info off of.

The floppy is so you can boot in the recovery menu, you still need the WIndows CD to actually do anything. For that matter you should be able to do the same with the CD anyway.

To back up your files, you'd need an external drive that had backup software on it. Or you'd have to be able to get it to boot in normal mode long enough to burn to a disc or use a blank external drive. I'm pretty sure Safe Mode can't access the drivers to enable CD burning & it can't install drivers for flash drives.

So I guess one of my only options now is making it a slave drive on another computer to backup the info that way? It doesn't seem like I'll be getting anything worked out on the computer as it is now and all...

That would be the best way. Gives you the ability to do a clean install and then retrive your files.

Just DON'T HOOK IT UP UNTIL YOU GET VIRUS PROTECTION ON THE NEW INSTALL!! Otherwise you risk reinfecting yourself.

Unrelated, do I need to worry about my Wii... 'catching' stuff in the event I decide to look certain things up? You know...

As far as viruses and the Wii go: it's POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely since it runs it's own OS making it a pain to reverse engineer and create a virus for it. I would worry about it too much. XBox 360 & PS3 are bigger targets anyway.

So basically, make sure the machine I slave the drive to is protected, yeah?

I don't know if this is a virus, though. Chances are I messed up something when trying to clean out the dust. Probably didn't ground myself first, though I figured touching the doorknob would be enough. B'oh...

Thanks for the answers, yo. I'm probably going to try and stick with image searching since the Wii can't run many videos, it seems. And where it can they're all choppy. Mmf...

Welp, seems my rig's a goner. Dad tried putting in another harddrive, but either the drives were master/slave when they were supposed to be the other, or they weren't recognized at all (the other drive might've also been bugged, though what we saw suggests it's a motherboard and/or CPU issue).

He's said I should take out my original drive for now, and probably the graphics and sound card. I managed to backup some of my stuff, but a lot of it remains stuck on the drive. I just hope the attempts didn't do any major damage. There's some cool stuff in there, and not just the jiggly bits. Sigh...

The parts we think are good have been removed. Considering all the times I've wanted to kick this thing around, I feel sad seeing it as it is now. Cold, quiet, and with rectangular holes where the parts had been, notably one in front where the dvd-rom used to be.

(I think the boot CD is still in there, also)

I've had this computer for a long time. It might even be the first I had, or at least lasted a while longer than any previous ones. I feel kinda terrible about it now. Blegh...

I need to get the stuff off my bed so I can get some sleep.

Night, folks.

(apologies in advance if the contents of this post freak anyone out, yo)

Man, this Opera Powered crap is ass, and not the good kind, yo.

Are there any sites that can take links and show the video? Because it seems like the only places that work on a Wii are Youtube (more so the XL variant) and... well, I probably shouldn't say it here, but will attempt so in code. It's -removed-, but not everything there works, and the stinkin' ads are murder on this thing's memory.

Any ideas, yo?

EDIT: I think I've also said before how choppy things get, but there's probably not much to be done there (though the Youtube XL is fairly smooth). Also, why do I get all this triangular bracketed code when editting / previewing? Kinda nutty, yo.

Man, this Opera Powered crap is ass, and not the good kind, yo.

Are there any sites that can take links and show the video? Because it seems like the only places that work on a Wii are Youtube (more so the XL variant) and... well, I probably shouldn't say it here, but will attempt so in code. It's -removed-, but not everything there works, and the stinkin' ads are murder on this thing's memory.

Any ideas, yo?

EDIT: I think I've also said before how choppy things get, but there's probably not much to be done there (though the Youtube XL is fairly smooth). Also, why do I get all this triangular bracketed code when editting / previewing? Kinda nutty, yo.

Nothing I know of save for modding the thing.

As far as the brackets, it's probably something with the Wii browser screwing up the editor.

Ah, phooey...

Oh well. And sorry for making reference before. Bad judgment there.

For now, though, I am intrigued by these language bits...

Celui-là bobards naissais va-et-vient? Qu'aimerais-tu deuxièmes fabriqua! Radiesthésie tableau-là wallis-et-futuna zouave allons-nous...

... sigh...

I wasn't doing anything different from the norm. The computer started lagging and freezing up a bit while making these subtle buzzes / hums / wheezes with a big buzz after several of the more quiet sounds. After managing to close my browser through the lag I scheduled a disc check for the next start up and shut the computer down.

Now it seems to be stuck in a loop, saying that Windows isn't starting successfully. Whether I try to start normally, in safe, or from the "Last Known Good Configuration", it all goes back to the screen where it states the failed start and gives me the options that just lead back to it all.

This is some stupid shit, though. It hasn't even been a month since I got this new computer. I guess one silver lining here is that my lack of doing anything substantial means I haven't lost anything important, but it still all sucks.

Gah...