Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DamnGlitch

Speak of the devil: Fans attempting to update Metroid 2

So earlier today Badger, JeffK and I awere chatting about various video gameu wherein i was griping about how the portrayal of Samus has been in the last few years.

Somewhere in the middle of my griping I made the complaint that of all the games that could use a remake, Metroid 2: RoS needs it the most. Between the tiny screen, lack of features, and how it's a big entry that as far as I know is almost completely ignored in this day in age, it seems like a prime target.

I got a @ comment that revealed exactly what I was looking for: http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com

Apparently these fans are putting together a modern (Super Metroid / Metroid Fusion looking) version of Metroid 2. They've got a demo out, and it looks very nice. Hopefully they will continue at a steady rate and the finished version will be out shortly. Give it a look, y'all MDbMB rejects

I hope this pulls through. A few years back there was a project in the works called Metroid: SR388, I think. It had Super Metroid-esque graphics and was looking pretty awesome (I think one of the MDb admins was helping with its development, even). Then I went to visit its site one day and it was gone.

Haven't checked this out yet, but a remake will probably have to be fanmade since I think the main guy behind Metroid, I think he's called Yoshio Sakamato, once stated something along the lines that he didn't want to make remakes because he'd rather do something new. This is pretty evident in Zero Mission, I wanna say, since it changed a fair deal around from the original release.

But yeah, a remake of Metroid II would be awesome. It introduced some of the coolest powerups in the series, and also has the Metroid appear in all its glorious phases. Well, the natural ones, anyway :P

I'm guessing the other one probably got taken down at the request of Nintendo, or the project fell apart, as they are wont to do.

This guy seems intent on have all original sprite (though since they are still of nintendo's intellectual property I doubt that'd save them from a TD request.)

This seems cool but all and all I'd still prefer a nintendo driven one so I can, you know, play it on my DS or something.