Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KaizenNeko

.hack//SIGN - from the weird and whacked

I picked up .hack//SIGN [platinum edition] ver.01 and I dig this anime. It may not be the best out there but it's still enjoyable none-the-less.

First off Mimiru (Black Rose from the .hack game) is my favorite character. Obvious reasons of course. :)

Volume 1 comes with 5 episodes (typical of Bandai) on this volume.

Let's start with the stuff you need to know. Tsukasa is a player who is stuck in a VR game called "The World". Pretty standard if you seen it on Craptoon Netwreck.

The first 5 episodes deal with Tsukasa becoming wanted by the support staff "The Red Knights" for his knowledge of a player who's PC is a cat. But Tsukasa gets into increasingly more trouble when he gets a 'guardian' who kills the captain of the Red Knights, Silver Knight, which somehow also causes the player to be knocked unconscious. Then it becomes known that Tsukasa can move from server to server without using the usual means, the Chaos Gates. So the Red Knights put a bounty on him, causing several dead sexy female warriors to seek him out which his guardian promptly SLAUGHTERS. :flame: Ultimately a trap is laid and Tsukasa is captured to be continued in ver.02.

Now on to the music. I have mixed feelings about it. The music is awesome but very repetitive, which is something I'm not used to in anime. I guess the repetition is a throw-back to that it IS an anime about a virtual RPG world, and we know how RPG music is. There is this one song that shows up EVERY time Subaru, the leader of the Red Knights, shows up that is beginning to get on my last goddamn nerve since she's in every episode at least twice, usually more. :po:

Edited By Outerverse on 1049774480

cool i'm waiting for a friend to special order the se version since he can get it at "normal price" not public price. BTW the anime and the game are completely different it does have some commonalties but it's not the same. both characters maybe the same "class" but are not the same. I'm told however vol 3 of the gameova has some of the anime characters meet the game characters.

ok rivive a thread again.... ok by now hack sign is all over and people seen "all" the episodes... however in secret 3 more were made "gift" was thsi really crazy animation tv meets game episode... itnresting stuff, it's an extra on one of the dvd's can't remember where...

episode 27 is a look at blackrose past and how she became who she is.

episode 28 is this really fucking god damn BITCHING tv meet game with good animation! it's sometihng about a gathering, sora is back and good, game wise has lios but the rest i tihnk are vol 1 characters only. mostl ikely kite's good friends. dunno if they will put these on the us dvd's but it is worth finding. you can BT fansub copy's.

I figure they will put them there, since they always are hard up for animation extras.

I mean, really, most of the time they have the worst extras evar. Live, usually a bio, a clean opening and closing, and previews for other shows by the same company. Dats it.

It's sad really.

So yeah, I think they'd jump at the chance of full eps for extras.

I dunno, I'm still confused by .hack. I mean, the animation is great, the story sounds neat, the characters are pretty cool... but for some reason, the show just makes ass for sense. I mean, I followed FLCL more easily... though it was far, far shorter. :P

Anyhoo, every time I see an episode of .hack, it makes less sense. I mean, I've gathered that Tsukasa is stuck in the game and had some sort of a traumatic experience and nearly died in the real world or something, and Subaru is in love with him, and I've figured out everything that's going on with the Red Knights, who've been disbanded and recreated by Silver Knight, sans Subaru and That Other Guy, but that's about it. The cat guy, any sort of reason Tsukasa would be stuck, and any and all major plot developments involving sleeping girls and disembodied voices and the Key of the Twilight still manage to elude me.

Maybe if I'd not picked up the series in the middle, I might have an easier time figuring out how everyone and everything got together. But that happens. :P

Did anybody else have problems figuring it out, or is this just me? :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

I dunno, I'm still confused by .hack. I mean, the animation is great, the story sounds neat, the characters are pretty cool... but for some reason, the show just makes ass for sense. I

Maybe if I'd not picked up the series in the middle, I might have an easier time figuring out how everyone and everything got together. But that happens. :buttrock:

Did anybody else have problems figuring it out, or is this just me? :)

I understand all of it. course I started watching it from episode 1.

remeber this is anime not american cartoons where if you miss the episode before your miss sometihng vital. and hack sign is one where you do need to pay attention to details. it's alot more intelectual coupled with the relationships it's not everyones choice of cake.

I'd personally recomend stop now and watch it in order starting with episode 1. an old teacher once told me "when you see something again you learn something new". so perhaps if still confused rewatch it over.

Yeah, I've been figuring that I should just start over... though it's only shown once per week, so it's not like that'll necessarily be coming around anytime soon. :P

And I know that anime often differs from American cartoons in that there's often a longer, arcing plot that develops over an entire series (as opposed to the occassional two-part episode)... it's just that usually, given enough of the middle, you can puzzle out the beginning. For the most part.

Part of .hack's mystique, I suppose you could call it, lies in its somewhat disjointed presentation of major plot points. The flashing memories, the cat avatar, the ocassional mention of the real world--all of it. It's all somewhat vague in the first place, like you're oddly... disconnected. :) Hearing about everyting as if it were taking place in another reality. Which is exactly how Tsukasa sees it.

Anyhoo, I'll endeavor to obtain a copy of it for my own viewing, as opposed to waiting for them to repeat it on their damn "Saturday" programming block that actually runs largely into Sunday. :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter