Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DamnGlitch

Review: MS Gundam: Char's counter attack - Read: Spoilers

Universal Century 0093. 13 years have passed since the events of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. But the foundations of peace are once again threatened by a new Neo Zeon army led by the infamous Char Aznable! Their ultimate goal is to initiate a nuclear winter upon Earth ushering in a new age of mankind into space. Armed with the state of the art Nu Gundam mobile suit, Amuro Ray and the Federation forces are all that stand against Neo Zeon. Torn between vengeance, duty, and love - the final battle between rivals Char Aznable and Amuro Ray is finally at hand!

(from the Bandai website)

Ok, here's what I think. The movie it self was good, or at least decent.

It had very good animation, and I liked the way the battles were carried out. A big plus is it gives allot of depth into the NewTypes, and their abilities. However, I thought this would have done much better as a short 6 or 12 ep OVA insted of craming it into two hours of movie. While it doesn't get boring, it does leave a bit to be desiered in the character development department (all of the new characters are very thin, to the point of us not knowing who the hell people are reffering to, and why these damn people are acting like they do). Also, in putting the whole conflict into a short period of time, it gives the impression that it was less important than it should, and that it was very quick and in the end meaningless. Another problem in the scene changes are quick and pointess. All the scenes with meri are just... I dunno, dumb. All in all, I think as an OVA most of these problems would have been solved.

But away from that... The movie is a good watch, with no parts that are _too_ anoyying. The green haired girl had a terribly high pitched voice, which didn't help since her character was a whiner, but she gets killed so I don't care :P That's another thing. To many damn people die. And none of em are old people. The new guys are basicly cannon fodder.

Erm, anyway, It's cheap, best buy had it for $22, and it gives a nice addition to the MS gundam universe. Plus it has a nice box, and it is _long_, 2 hours. So I'd get it (if your a gundam fan. No not gundam wing, ass).

Final score, B -

Looove and Peeace,

Booyaka!

DamnGlitch

***THIS SPOILER CONTAINS A POST***

***wait, that should be the other way 'round... oh, well.***

Yeah... not sure what it is with people trying to drop large interstellar objects on Earth, but that's the name of the game once again.

Another thing, though--WHO THE HELL WAS AMURO'S LOVE INTEREST, and where did she come from? I'd never heard of her before, but like everybody else, she died. Glitch just said lots of people died. By that he meant that the annoying newtype girl who was really the pivotal character through the movie died, Amuro's friend died, Amuro's love interest died, Amuro died, Char died... yeah.

Well, Amuro and Char didn't *technically* die, I suppose... they didn't fall down like Spike and stop moving, but they diverted an asteroid that would've pretty much destroyed Earth and burned away 90% of their mobile suits in the process, or so it seemed. It also seemed like they died, just like everybody else did.

Oh, yeah. The annoying girl, whom Bright Noah's son was in love with, killed her own father, too. By destroying the bridge of his spacecraft. So more people died.

<s>The movie was still good--don't take all these negative comments negatively... wait... er...</s>

Other than everybody dying and a love interest that popped out of seemingly nowhere, the movie is still a good buy. It gives some finality to the Mobile Suit Gundam story. And, just to throw another comment in the general direction of Gundam Wing, yes, it's far better than Endless Waltz. Plus, the plot is not near-nonsensically vague and hard to follow, though it's not simplistic.

Not like G Gundam... or Mobile Fighter G Gundam... or Why The Hell Didn't They Keep The Suit-Fighter Interface on the Body Wrap System that Seems to Enhance Reflexes and Reaction Time when they Went On to Later Series?... which has a ridiculously simple plot, but, like Dragonball Z, takes STUPID long to explain the whole thing.

"Have you seen Kyoji?"

"No."

"Okay." *boom*

"Have you seen Kyoji?"

"Nope."

"Okay." *boom*

"Kyoji?"

"Sure haven't."

*boom*

"Kyoji?"

"Uh-uh."

*boom*

"Hi, master!"

"Hi. I'm evil, and working for Kyoji."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

"Master... why?!"

"I'm evil."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Then, Master helps him anyway, blah blah blah, Neo-Japan rules the Earth and turns into a really big Gundam. Blah blah blah.

Speaking of Dragonball Z and related merchandising and other such shows, Dragonball is once again in full-swing, with Goku going to Demon World and beating up on everybody. I'm currently happy with the episodes because it takes exactly one (read: ONE!) episode to beat each bad guy. Sure, they're effectively one-shot, pointless characters, but who cares? Goku always wins, anyway, and now, you don't have to watch four releases of 37 new episodes apiece to see Goku prevail.

Plus, he was a lot more interesting to watch as a child. Sure, there's no Vegeta, and he's inexplicably tubby, but he's a lot more carefree and silly.

"You're going to fight him? Are you foolish, or stupid?"

"Oh, I'm not either of those guys. I'm Goku!"

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter