Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DamnGlitch

Amanda Win Lee is a baby stabber - Not really, but I'm not t

Don't know who Amanda Win Lee is? I'll give you a hint, she was a voice actor in EVERY MOTHER FUCKING ADV REALESE SINCE 1994. Till recently, when she kind of dissappeared. I'll get into why she did, and why it's a good thing, in a bit...

Really, Amanda is pretty accomplished, some of her more notable voice credits incude the principle char Momiji in Blue Seed, and her most important, and in my opinion succesful, role as Rei of the famous Neon Genesis Evangelion series. But behind a nice voice lurked a disturbingly vapid mind. Unlike Tiffiny Grant, one of my favorite voice actors of all time, Amanda is generally disconnected from the anime community, and generally scoffs at such Anime traditions as cosplay and Otakuisms. I mean, she made fun of the normal geeky wquestions possed to her at several convetions. What the hell? Great way to pay back fans who spend thousonds on anime and basically pay her wages.

Okay, the gist of this article is that Lee is a bitch. The reason for my scorn? She was the fucking director for the english End of Eva port. While it is admirable that she got together _most_ of the orignal english cast, there are some things that should have cleared up. The tiny, geaky tech Mikato was done by a deep voiced black man. Not that I have anything racial against Keith Bridges, the actor in question, but that doesn't add the hell up when a big black guy voices a small japanese guy who was previously acted by a small white guy. And he was the guy who was suppose to put all the special features on the EoE DVD. Please note the EoE DVD had no special features. Just food for thought.

Why did I bring this up? Amanda did casting. Great choice, dumbass. Then there was the added dialog, and the changes of FUCKING SOUND EFFECTS. Of all the anime ported, you do not _FUCK AROUND WITH EVA_. Any translation errors border on blasphamy, especially when fans were waiting 5 years for the domestic release.

Why do I bring this facet up? Lee was the english script writer and even admitted to (rather fucking blurted out) adding the sound effects and dialog to satify her own fucking designs. She fucked with eva because "it was all so sad and depressing" Woopty shit!! Your paid for this, bitch. Get it right or go to hell. The sound effects destroy any pleasure gained from Tiffiny Grant's great acting. Really, she's the only reason I listen to the Dub, other then Spike Spencer screaming and shit (even though the Japanese actor does it better and more freaky-er). Lee replaced a regular, but appropriate soundless brain splater (a guy got shot in the head) with this loud and obnoxious Blllurp noise. Not only that, the bitch reused it, and It was just as bad. You'd have to hear it, but goddamn, it pissed me off. So now I only watch the sub (which I could have done without of paying for this shit...urrrg).

Also, the _only_ feature on the DVD is the director commentary, which is Lee making crude and digusting jokes about people in the movie dieing, bad _fart joke_ and even did a fucking south park reference. You _DON'T MAKE FUN OF GOOD GOD DAMNED EVA!_, and you really shouldn't use the fucking phrase "baby batter" in any professional endevor.

The outrage at the DVD, the dub, and the flaws contained within was overwhelming in the anime community. I haven't seen hide nor hair of her since that. A good thing, because hords of Otaku are waiting to lynch her ass. But really, she played a good Rei. It would have been great if that was all she did, but some genius thought the help would make a good director. Eh, shows how stupid Manga Films is.

This artical is just venting, something I've been holding in since September. So ahhhhhhh.....

And you come back now, y'hear?

EVANGELION = :P

Seriously, though... am I the only person in the world who equates Evangelion to DBZ? It's far too much hype for what it is, like Chrono Trigger and GTA in the realm of games. This is just my opinion, though. Go ahead and like it... it's no skin off'n my nose.

*twitch* DBZ and Eva?

*twitch-twitch*

Awwww hell no. That is so wrong on so many levels. THe mere thought of such a compairison makes me ill. Evangelion is one of the greatest Anime of all time. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I'll be damned if I'll let it stand anyware near DBZ for anything ever, unless the contest is "here's the best, now see the worst" or something. And unless you've watched the whole series, your opinion on the matter is not properly educated. Watch the whole thing, if ya don't like it, then I'll be satisied. If you do happen to like it, then all the better.

So natch.

Edited By DamnGlitch on 1049678717

No, see... there's many similarities.

Both are vastly overhyped. Both are decent and even cool a lot of times, but extremely overhyped.

Both have a huge following... of fucking morons. Not all of its followers are stupid, but lots of them are.

Both also deal with boringly immense powers beyond power itself. Now this sort of thing would normally be cool but I see way too much of it (Superman, DBZ, Trigun) and you always know that someone or something somewhere in the series is going to be so powerful that even the almighty Pants Wearer himself trembles from their might. That got old faster than "Reality TV"

Hey, I will sit down and watch a good square episode of Eva. I dig the fighting and Asuka is funny, but like Chrono Trigger, which is a point I bring up ever so often, its ridiculously overrated. Just my opinion, mind ye.

*grinds teath* How the hell is DBZ over hyped? And the fans are _completely_ different.There is nothing the least bit inteligent, or psycological about DBZ. DBZ is shittily animated, and there's a million fucking clones of it. Evangelion is original, and even with legions of _attempted_ clones of it, it still rains suppream. The same cannot be said about the filthy, filthy DBZ. While you might not believe it lives up to it's hype, there isn't anything like it.

On the same subject, when was the last time you saw a group of retarted trick or treaters walking around with shitty Evangelion costums? Or shitty Eva figures, or playing Evangelion while hitting each other with sticks? Plus, there is concludive proof about the average intelligence of DBZ fanboys; A corepondent of the now defunct Otaku No Radio went to a carnival in rural alabama, I think it was. There were DBZ shirts _everywhere_. Case closed. Site link here, but it's no long in play soooo...http://www.studiokanzen.com/radio/

Same guy also runs the Evangelion Otaku Site, which is located right here. Great site, if you've seen the whole series. Give back detail on it's production and stuff. http://www.evaotaku.com/

But in the end, the series in beyond normal anime. In _know_ it'll fail to live to your expectations, just because of the way I rave about it, but that's how it works. AndI said see _the whole series_ because you need to t get to the meat of the show. The first 16 episodes are the calm before the storm, and the End of Evangelion brings the ouse fucking down. It is a must see, if just to say you have. Don't hate what you don't know :P

Look, all I know is that ever since my friend Darin 'discovered' Evangelion, it's all he fucking talks about and I'm sick of it.

It's not that fucking good, okay? You talk as if it was the best show EVRAR or something. I've seen the first couple of episodes (up to 10, I think), and the last couple of episodes (the last 3). I don't like to think that hard at cartoons. I'm sorry if that displeases you, but I watch TV to let my brain slip into a state of temporary dumb where thinking isn't really required. Watching Eva is like taking a fucking test, most definitely towards the end.

Plus, besides that, DBZ is irrationally overhyped. Do you even know what I mean by overhyped? It's made out to be better than it is. You look at all the fucktards who obsess over DBZ and tell me it's not overhyped. You said it yourself that it sucks, and it does. Yet legions of morons adore it. This makes it overhyped.

Eva is overhyped due to the fact that just because it's complicated, people automatically think it has to be good, since it's deep.

I'm a simple man (most of the time), and as I often say, "I'm still a dollar whem a hundred passes by." Take me to an expensive five-star restaraunt and the first thing I'm asking Pierre the waiter is "Got any burgers on the fryers back there?"

I'll just tell you this: Not all that glitters is gold. Just because it's complicated doesn't mean it's instantly good. Hell, take Tom & Jerry for instance. If Tom & Jerry was on opposite of Eva on some other channel, I'd watch the cat and mouse beat each other up. That's just me, I guess.

I don't necessarily hate Eva either... Hell, I've caught myself watching it a few times and saying "Whoa, KICK ASS!" It's the blatant hyperbole of it's worth that makes me argue against you. It's another anime on the rack, and that's all I will ever consider it. Sorry if that offends you.

Edited By Badger-san on 1049745762

The thing that makes it good is it's intelect. No one said I think anything complicated is good. Take xenosaga. Bleh. But the intellegence is what makes me a fan. The mecha battles are great, but I always though that the series could stand to be expanded opon more. Kawru should have been in at least 2 episodes. He was in less then one. What I'm saying is that while I _do_ think it's one of the best series ever, it could use improvment. The _original_ ending was abysmal. It went beyond precident in the amount of out rage express by the lack luster way it ended. But fans adored it _so much_ that they actually got the ending _changed_ ! How fucked is that?

Okay, that out of the way, your disatifaction with eva dissappoints me for sure, but offendes me not in the least (although the compairison to DBZ did. Whoo boy).

What _does _ offend me is that simply because it's animated, you think it should be cheap bits and all laughs. Or simple action. You can get both in almost _every other anime and cartoon ever_. So yeah. That's all I have to say about that.

Ah, now this is the anime commentary we all know and love. I especially appreciate the different points of view Orion brings around, considering all Glitch, Outey and I do is post reviews and agree about the general suckiness of... well, some generally sucky things. :flame:

Anyhoo, I can see where Orion is coming from--if you ask a guy on the street who says he likes "Japanese Anime" or "Japanimation," chances are that he'll say that he absolutely ADORES freakin' DBZ, right? Well, if you go to an anime con, they don't call it "Japanese Anime," they just call it "Anime." And if you ask him what a really good anime is, he'll say Evangelion. It's like the other side of the same coin.

I'm not saying that DBZ is on par with Evangelion, but they are, for lack of a better term, the staple animes. DBZ is uber-well-known, just like Pokemon (which sure as DAMN hell doesn't count), and Eva is well-known in anime circles. Sure, Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga, Trigun, and Inuyasha are wonderful series, but you'll notice that they don't come as highly recommended as Eva, now, do they?

I'm not saying that Eva doesn't deserve the place it gets, or necessarily that Excel and the others are inferior, but when it comes down to it, Eva gets top billing. Just look at Glitch here. :po:

THAT is what Orion means by overhyped--he agrees that it's a great show (I mean, he even put it on the same level as Tom & Jerry, which is the highest praise I can think of), but, like he said, Chrono Trigger is in the same boat. You talk about console RPGs, Chrono Trigger gets recommended 95 times out of 100. Final Fantasy is OBVIOUSLY over-hyped, so it doesn't count either. :) I'm talking about long-time CRPG players. And CT is a great game, but there are others out there. But it's Chrono Trigger that gets the hype. The jazz. The thumbs-up. The recommendations. That's over-hype.

Orion's got some valid points. He's not saying that the show is bad, he's just saying that many of the people you ask about anime will reply with either DBZ or Evangelion, regardless of what is out there. And sometimes, you get wackos that won't budge and will try to kill you if you go against what they say (and what the hype says).

I'm not sure if I'm finished with this little blather session, but I'm watching my new Lupin III tape and my heart's just not in it.

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter