Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KaizenNeko

Limited Access

Bad news to the Mac crowd here. My next computer ended up being a custom-built Windows box. Every item was hand picked and assembled by myself. I do still like the idea of having a Mac, but I was more wanting something to replace my POS Compaq. Apple was not an option since my financing through them would not have gotten me a useable computer and the it would have been very much trimmed back from what I wanted to get.

I'll post pics of "The Red Menace" (as I have dubbed it) later. It's nothing flashy like Badger's old pimped out box.

But once again I am transitioning from the old to the new, so I am going to have limited access for now.

The only Mac that's starting to get cheeper than a PC is the new Mac Pro and even then it can make a hole in your pocket. Good luck and I hope you didn't lose any habbits by using a Mac for too long. "what the heck is add/remove?"

Greetings from "THE RED MENACE!"

It lives! I still have a lot of software to install but I now have all the hardware intsalled and it's online. I'm also getting the files off old Compy3 which is taking forever...stupid old 2002 technology.

Oh and BBF looks pretty good on my 37" HDTV. XD

I'm going to have to learn how to use a Mac when I go to school. I've only ever used a PC. What are the differences?

SB

PCs and Macs are like chimpanzees and humans: they're essentially 98% the same.

I'm going to have to learn how to use a Mac when I go to school. I've only ever used a PC. What are the differences?

SB

Mac are usually better for professional media purposes, such as video and audio editing, whereas PCs are usually better with games and conventional office applications (such as spreadsheets and word processing).

Main differences that I can think of right now that aren't windows bashing:

1. Programs

Windows: kind of every window can be a program (a main window is a program, then that window can have windows within it). menu in in every program window. Also more than one instance of a program can be run in most programs.

Mac: one copy of a prog can be run at a time. the menu is at the top of the screen, not in a window (look at the dock to see what is opened)

2. install, remove

Windows: Lot of installers and un-installers (the add/remove thing)

Mac: Lot of "just drop it on your computer and trash it when you don't want it anymore"

3. Booting

PC: Has a bios (weird text when booting)

Mac: Doesn't because it's such an old technology or some other vague reason. (use Apple's bootcamp on Intel Macs to install a Bios emulator if you want a PC system like Windows, Fedora Core, ...)

4. Command Line

Windows: Dos DOS is 'disk operating system'. Prior to Window95 (MS)DOS was required to run any program and Windows was a shell that automated a lot of DOS commands with a GUI. With Windows 95, MSDOS was integrated into the Windows shell making it one thing. With Wndows2000 (Maybe even NT4), the DOS was removed, but a command console is present to use a lot of the old DOS commands.

Mac: Unix shell

5. Obligatory Disk Drives

PC: Floppy Disk (a Bios thing?) This was more of a holdover from when harddrives were extremely expensive. Almost all PC's sold in the past 6 years do not have a floppy. Most now either come with a CD-RW or DVD-ROM drive.

Mac: None. (has CD of DVD drive and lots of USB and Firewire plugs)

6. Need to reboot when?

Windows: Blue screen of Death, Lockups, Kernel crash Not so much with WindowsXP, usually when there is a problem it's because of something a program has done which will shut that program down. BSOD's are nearly non-existant, for the most part Windows simpley reboots and tells you what happened. Also there is not as many occurances when a program will take out Explorer.exe (the Windows shell).

Mac: Lockups, Kernel crash (rare nowadays but don't do creepy stuff or use strange beta softwares) (boot an intel MacOSX DVD on a non intel if you want to see one)

7. Periperals

PC: Lots (meaning 3) of old printer (parallel, one port) and keyboard plugs (ps/2, two because mice used ps/2 as well) and USB, Firewire (PC's call it IEEE 1394, the official designation. Also USB plugs on a monitor is determined by it's manufacturer.

Mac: USB and Firewire plugs on computer and maybe on the screen

So, PC tries to satisfy old users and Apple the current ones (and kicks people who doesn't want to change) (it's a bad thing about Apple but they have good support). If I made a mistake anywhere or forgot something please say so.

Anyway, try to remember that Apple did not invent a real working time machine and you'll do fine.