Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KaizenNeko

Geneon calls it quits.

Geneon (formerly Pioneer Pictures) filled a void when Streamline & Orion went belly up.

Now they are calling it quits. They are most notiable for having a lot of the older Tenchi series (OVA1, OVA2, & Universe). I don't think their loss is going to cause the vacuous hole like the other 2 studios I mentioned will (mainly because there are almost a dozen out there now), but it does seem that one of the main pillars of US distribution is now gone. This doesn't bode well for those of us old and mid-timers who got into anime back in the toonami and pre-toonami days. Keep an eye on what ADV, VIZ, and Funimation do from here on out. Geneon going down could be the beginning of the end of days for anime in the US. Especially since Bandai, U.S. Manga Corps, Manga Ent, and Urban Vision don't seem to be very active. That and ADV recently has been very shitty toward their fans with their "Anime Essentials" releases which have almost NO special features and TONS of ADV ads.

To be fair, anime has never been more popular than it is today, and is seeing more and more air time on television. I think ADV will be fine for a long time... but it does suck that geneon is on the outs. I loved their releases.

Manga ent can fucking die in a fire for all I care, they release shit and nothing but shit.