Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sword Bearer

Fallout 3 (PC) First Impressions

Heeehh...This game is fun...And kinda hard. Not Gears of War hard, which I thought was ridiculously difficult, I can't get halfway through that game on even Medium :P. But thats not the point of this post. And while I do say that Fallout 3 is hard, I have only died twice, and those were two very stupid ways to die...The first, I fell...through...a hole in a bridge that I didn't even see...That kind of sucked...The second time I was fighting in a big area, and this big guy called a Behemoth, kind of a boss I guess, was chasing me...And well, I was back peddling as fast as I could trying to find the weapon to kill him with, and I guess I ran into a park bench or something, and got stuck. Suffice it to say, he hit me with a big dang stick, and I died...That sucked too...But otherwise the game has been a blast!

So far, I have decided to walk the path of the straight an narrow, AKA be a good guy, and am enjoying it a lot. Although I can tell that being a jerk on my second time through is going to allow me to do some incredibly devilsh things :P For instance, if any of you have watched any of the preview videos, there is a town called Megaton built around an unexploded nuclear bomb. You have a choice, disarm the bomb and make everybody in town love you...Or, get hired to blow it all to hell, and get the rich and jerk people to love you because you cleared up their view. According to some things I have read, supposedly saving the town can get the jerk people to send bounty hunters after you...I think I avoided that by imediatly telling the town sheriff what the jerk guy did, and we went to arrest him...He didn't like that and killed the sheriff, and so I promptly blew his skull into two pieces, which made a neat visual in the game :twisted:

Also, the enemies in the game, so far, are incredibly varied. I've fought against normal anoying raiders, to big dang Super Mutants with miniguns...And that Behemoth I mention earlier. The most recent enemy I have encountered are Fire Ants...Big Dang Fire Ants...That can actually spit fire at you...And are very difficult to kill.

My favorite weapon so far, the Fat Boy...He he he...Think Mini Nuclear Bomb Gun...Makes things go boom...heh...

So those are my first impressions. I've been playing about 10 hours or so, and I think I have barely scratched the surface as a good portion of those hours have been spent on side quests. And so, since it is incredibly late for me, I'm going to bed. That way, I can get up early and play some more...I have no idea how I am going to survive the fire ants...And so, if none of you see me around for awhile...Fallout 3 is why.

SB

Gears of War was a lot more fun to play the story mode of, I think, in multiplayer. One player could distract with his sniper rifle, while the other went around to flank the enemies and meted out justice in the form of a chainsaw rampage, for example. Teamwork was the way through the bug assault.

As for Fallout, does it feel or play like Oblivion? I understand they used the engine, but I was wondering how it turned out. "Oblivion with guns" was a phrase someone used at my local game store. I had mixed success with ranged weapons in Oblivion, thus my interest.

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

The guns work awesomely well. It isn't as responsive as an FPS, but that is where VATS comes in. Basically, you can pause time, and target certain body parts of your enemy...And the slow motion kills, where your enemy's head explodes, gets addiciting. It takes a little getting used to, and you shouldn't go into it thinking that you can play it like an FPS, cause, you can't...You'll die reeeeaaaallll quick.

And, I'm not sure that "Oblivion with guns," is a good term for it. Yeah, it looks a lot like it...But the game is so much better...I guess you would have to play it yourself to find out the best description, as I'm not done with it yet. But the guns work really well. I don't think you'll have any trouble like that of Oblivion's ranged weapons.

SB

I had mixed success with ranged weapons in Oblivion, thus my interest.

Same here. My entire purpose in the realm of Tamriel is to be a bad-ass barbarian orc with a gigantic battle axe, as frighteningly powerful as he is naked (I give him fur boots and gauntlets, at least) and quicker than a steed on foot. I doubt I could play a similar role in Fallout 3.

I miss ol' Gnash gro-Knarl. I might have to fire up Morrowind and recreate him on there somehow.

I have to say, now that I've had two days to play the game, that I'm still enjoying it. I never played the first two Fallout games, so I can't compair...Compare? Fallout 3 with the originals. One thing that I love about Fallout 3 is that I have found that for different areas, I have had to take different tactics to fight off the new types of enemies I encounter. For instance, remember those fireants I was talking about before? Well, I found out that mines actually work fairly well on them...I never use mines in most games because I find the run and gun method to work so well that mines just slow me down. But Fallout 3 is one of the few games I have played where you actually have to think about the type of enemy you are fighting against, what kind of weapon would be the best to use, and should that weapon be a flung Teddy Bear? (I have yet to play very much with the Rock-It-Launcher, but I hear that it is possible to kill people by shooting them with Teddy Bears with said gun.) I didn't want to say it before, as I wasn't sure, but now that I have played more, I think its safe to say that now that guns are the main weapon in the game, its similar to just using a sword or axe in Oblivion...Only you don't have to be standing next to people. VATS takes care of a lot of problems, like slow response time for your weapons. But after you get used to the game, and you level up a few times I think, a good portion of that slow response disappears. To sum up, that game takes a few hours to get used to. The intro is fun, Aslan as your father who couldn't be happy about that? (Liam Neeson is the voice of your characters father.) The only problem I had with the intro was that there wasn't enough combat training in it. For instance, in Oblivion, you were very quickly thrust into a situation where you were alone, in the dark, with a fairly weak sword, and lots of giant rats and goblins to kill. In Fallout 3, you only fight twice. The first time is when you get your first weapon, a BB gun, and shoot some targets and a large Radroach, it doesn't take very long and there is no threat of danger. The second time you have no weapon, and you (or at least I did) fight off a group of three bullys picking on your girlfriend. You don't even get to knock them out, as after a few hits on the leader, he simply gives up and walks away. And while there is a good since of danger here because there are three bullys you are fighting, and I actually think you can lose the fight, it doesn't really last that long. A little later, you do have to have to fight your way out of the Vault, but the combat doesn't seem as dangerous as that in the beginning of Oblivion, mainly because, I guess, that for the most part, you are fighting Radroaches that die in one hit, and guards that come at you one at a time. At least until the end when you have to fight two guards at the same time, that is kind of hard. But that really is all the combat trainning you get, and you are then thrust into the Wasteland. This does however do one thing very well. It gives you the feeling of being a sheltered little vault kid who is suddenly put into a dangerous and unknown new world.

Heh, I helped on lady finish a book she was writing, and the forward I gave her was, "This 'Outside' place is great! In the main room, I can't even see the ceiling!" And in Megaton, where the people are that worship the bomb, the worshiper's good bye line is "walk in the glow." Heh.

But so, after an hour or three in the wasteland, which will go by really quick, trust me, you will be blowing heads off of raiders and/or settlers without any trouble. The hardest part of the guns in the game is, "which gun should I use to blow your head off?" Seriously, that is the question I find myself asking all the time.

And, you get some interesting close combat weapons also. One of my favorites is the Ripper, its basically a one handed chain saw...It doesn't do a whole heck of a lot of damage, but its fun. And then I have a Shishkabob...Basically, a flaming one handed chainsaw! :P I don't use it much because it hurts you a little bit whenever you wield it, but its still neat. And then you have the usual assortment of neat stuff, Nailboards, that the Super Mutants drop, sledgehammers. All sorts of things. Swords are few and far between though, and I've only encountered one kind, the Chinese Officers Sword.

And finally, I will mention the Repairing skill. In Oblivion, you needed Repair Hammers to fix anything. And the Hammers would break. I found it anoying, but with a high enough skill, it came in handy. In Fallout 3, its both better, and worse. Now, you no longer need Repair Hammers, just a high enough skill. And another copy of the weapon, from which to scavange parts from. You can hire people to fix things for you, but that is incredibly expensive, and doesn't repair your weapon or clothes all that much. And so in the way that repairing is better, no more hammers, and for me this seems easier. The worse part is that now you need an extra weapon on your hands, that is the same weapon as the one you want to fix, to fix anything, and your repair skill needs a good amount of points in it so that it is worthwhile.

And with that, its back to Fallout 3. Oh yeah, if you want a review from somebody who has actually played Fallout 1 and 2, then head over to www.ctrlaltdel-online.com The comic author there, his review is on the main page, is an old fan of the Fallout series, and so he might have a view that is more objective than mine is.

SB

Yeah, I read Tim Buckley's review over on Ctrl-Alt-Del, but I was interested in your ideas because like you, I haven't played any of the previous Fallout games. From what I understand, they were somewhat more of turn-based games on an isometric grid, and that's the biggest difference in the jump from Fallout 2 to Fallout 3.

I actually have the game reserved at my local game store, but haven't had the chance to pick it up yet. I'm exceited now, though... you had me at 'flaming chainsaw.' :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

I've actually been reading up on this game and, I must say, It looks to be as fun as everyone says it is.

Now I just need an Xbox 360 or a better computer, whichever I can get first :P

Yeah, I play the game on a console, myself... the platform decision was basically made ahead of time. There was the fact that I don't have a computer that would *run* it (I originally bought Oblivion for the computer but then bought it for the 360 as well because my computer couldn't run it worth beans), but I'm primarily a console gamer anyway. I've heard from people that the computer is the "way it was meant to be played," but I've always preferred a controller in my hand to a mouse on my desk. The only difference that there really was with Oblivion between the console was user-generated content, so I figured I'd be safe.

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter