Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sword Bearer

Fallout 3 (PC) First run completed!

So, I just finished my first run of Fallout 3, or at least I just finished the main story of the game.

And so, with that, I will say that all of my earlier impressions of the games mechanics still stand. Actually, I would say that I think they are even better. The combat is great, and challenging, and really draws you into the game. Near the end, I began to feel that I could take on anything, and I could. But I never lost sight of the fact that I had to be careful about running out of ammo, and keeping my weapons in good working order. If you lose track of that, it doesn't really matter what level you are, your dead. And so, about the story.

The story is top notch. I almost cried at several points. And there are a few twists and turns that took me by surprise, and left me with the feeling that I was making a difference in the games world. The only drawback I think I had with it, was the ending. And this is a point on which I'm confused. I won't spoil what happens at the end, but I will say this, I was saying both "Oh sweet that fits so well with the games story!" And, "wait a minute...That kinda sucks!" So, I'll just say that story wise, its great, but for the player wise, I was kinda disappointed. I still find myself conflicted about whether or not I liked it.

Overall, I love this game. Its got so much content in it, that I don't think I'm going to start an evil character yet, I just want to run around the world and discover as much as possible. I still haven't met DogMeat yet, but I know he is somewhere. So if you still aren't sure about the game, I guess you could say, "Think Oblivion, only a hundred times better." The ranged weapons work just as well as the melee weapons did in Oblivion, and the characters are far more intriguing. I think the only drawback character wise I had was the massive amounts of foul language strewn throughout the game. Even the little ten year olds were mouthing off every other word to me. That doesn't make a good character, it makes them static and one dimensional, especially when all of them talk like it.

But so, I would still recomend the game to anyone who doesn't have small children lingering around him 24/7.

SB

Yup, I've acquired the game and I'm currently hanging around my new pad in... Nuketown... Atomville... the place where they worship the unexploded nuke, whatever. And yeah, scrounging enough ammo is the big thing right now. :P Falling back to your BB gun while surrounded by GIANT FIRE-BREATHING ANTS is a disconcerting experience. Go figure, I'm good at Repair, Unarmed Combat (the Raiders are beginning to fear my Fists of Justice, I think :P), and Medicine... but if I get too close to the fire ants, they set me ablaze and there's not a whole lot medical science can do for a sizzling corpse with spike knuckles. So thus, the ranged attack.

Now that I've got a Nuka-Cola machine, though, I'm having an easier time staying alive, albeit with slight amounts of radiation contained in every delicious ice-cold bottle. :P Thanks for the recommendation, SB, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

Actually, it suddenly brought Mad Mad Max to my mind as I was trudging through the wastelands of an irradiated nuclear wasteland, listening to pirate Swedish folk rock big band radio stations, on my way to find more whiskey. :P Now, all I need is the shotgun.

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

I'll find it one o' these days... sounds like a plan. Definitely need to get the caps together to buy the design for the Rock-It Launcher, though... never know when I'll need to fling that plasma inducer or whatever that I didn't use to blow up the nuke at some rampaging monster. :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

Heh, I made the Rock-It Launcher...But I never used it. I always carry way to much stuff, and to carry any sort of ammo for it would have kept me constantly overloaded. So I just stuck with the Chinese Rifle, and a few other weapons.

SB

I found a Mini-Nuke, which I assume would be fired by it. The description included "firing teddy bears," so I figured that it would indeed fire a good deal of whatever flotsam I came across in my travels--are there specific ammunitions for it, or what?

As for the Chinese Assault Rifle, that's what I'm using, too... though repairing it costs an arm and a leg because I can't find another one to cannibalize and do it myself. It's pretty good, though, at least until I can find myself a .44 Magnum. I *know* they must exist somewhere... a vendor had ammunition for one, so I'd best not be disappointed. :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

Yes, there is a .44 Magnum, and its scoped too. And the Mini Nuke is used by the Fat Boy.

And I'm not too sure what type of ammo you can use in the Rock It Launcher, pretty much anything that isn't already a weapon or ammo for another weapon.

The Chinese Assault Rifle is dropped mainly by the Super Mutant Masters, which are some of the tuffest enemies you will find, and the high end of the Super Mutant line. But your best bet to keep any gun in good repair is simply to have a high Repair skill, and just fix them with copys of the same gun.

SB