Infinite Unreality Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KaizenNeko

Some things in consideration.

I've been pretty unhappy about the level of outtages and general quality of service from HostingZoom of late. As you may remember, I had them move us from an overloaded server to a new one. But I don't feel that I've gotten level of service that should be expected from a brand new box.

You all already know that I have a new domain and host over at DreamHost, which has unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space among a whole bunch of other goodies. I'm seriously considering moving infiniteunreality.com over there and calling it a day with HostingZoom. Also they can't seem to process a $10 charge for domain renewal without fucking it up every single month.

One thing I also will like is that each subdomain is it's own self-contained account, meaning everything doesn't sit under the main site's root directory. It may not look like it, but I like things neat and tidy. Also the perk is that I could set up a Google Apps account per subdomain if I felt like it. An example is my onederangedneko.com email addresses are handled by GMail.

[hr /]

I've also been thinking about vBulletin again. I still have an account with them and just have been notified that the new vB3.8 is out. I'm probably going to go ahead and renew my account to download and play with it some. Don't get me wrong, I think phpBB 3 is full of win but it does have quite a few things that IRK me about it that vBulletin I feel did better.

[hr /]

I know I dropped off the face of the earth for a while but I've still been keeping tabs on things. I've just had a lot of things bothering me and work's been murderful, but things have relaxed some. As for site stuff, I AM going to build the Interactive Worlds site to use PHP & MySQL and will probably post a call for editors when I get things ready to start being put up. One thing I've been having trouble with is PNG support in IE5.5 & IE6. None of the solutions I've tried work with in reason, which is pissing me off because I REALLY don't want to break out using GIF and JPG for the site.

[hr /]

I've probably rambled on for long enough.

It doesn't look like too much changed in vB3.8 from vB3.7 so from a usability standpoint is should be the same. I'll probably install the archives on onederangedneko.com's account and see how it runs.

PNGs not working in IE... didn't I come to you with that problem, like, six years ago? Didn't you come up with some fancy code doodad that worked sometimes, then both of us said "fuck it, we'll just use FireFox like everybody does these days?" :P

However it ends up working, though, just run with it. I was wondering when the next giant reworking of everything that we know and do would be coming down the line. :P

Have a nice day!

The Insane Space Hunter

Actually, I've reviewed the server logs and there are still some using the site that are using that god-awful IE6 for some unknown reason.

And yeah, I'm about to the point of saying fuck it again and abandoning IE5.5 & IE6 support all together. One solution 've tested, basically resized all background images to fill the DIVs or it moves them up by 2px. That is a pain because the images DO NOT fill the background and simply use the last color for the background color. The OTHER solution makes background images disappear due to a coding bug that hasn't been fixed in 2 years. If I find something that doesn't fuck up my background images I'll keep bothering with IE6.

Oh and you need to change the "Made for Mozilla" button out on your site. Mozilla Suite has been dead for some time and the successor is called SeaMonkey.

So does this mean another database conversion for the posts to get PHPBB -> VB?

At this time I don't plan on going back to vB, but I'll keep it as an option...seeing as the person who complain the most about it hasn't posted in ages.

If we go back to vBulletin, I'll migrate everything into the old board and reopen it.

PNGs not working in IE... didn't I come to you with that problem, like, six years ago? Didn't you come up with some fancy code doodad that worked sometimes, then both of us said "fuck it, we'll just use FireFox like everybody does these days?" :P

HA! I found something that works! It's a script called DD_BelatedPNG and it basically allows you to pick and choose what it applies the fix to. SuperSleight is SUPPOSED to do this, but it bugged out on me every time.

Also Belated DOES NOT REQUIRE a 1x1 pixel transparent gif!! :D

At this time I don't plan on going back to vB, but I'll keep it as an option...seeing as the person who complain the most about it hasn't posted in ages.

If we go back to vBulletin, I'll migrate everything into the old board and reopen it.

There is one definite advantage to vBulletin, and that it ACTS like a threaded BBS where you can reply to the first post or to any post below it, where as phpBB treats everything as a reply to the first post only.

HostingZoom, the host of Black-Blade.net, was bought out not too long ago. It looks as though they are going to be shooting for a large-volume, low-cost host. I'm not too keen on this idea since we know what's happened in the past with those type hosts (ie One2Host, Fuitadnet). I probably WILL move the site one more time over to OneDerangedNeko.com's host, especially since my account there has unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth.

More on the move. I did the move and told HostingZoom to go gently caress themselves.

I still have to get with you people I host about what version of the Infinite Unreality domain do they want their on.

Further more I still have to get things set up to look at the new Infinite Unreality domain, so in the meantime Black Blade yet lives (for at least until May next year.)